Ephesians 6:17 "Take the helmet of salvation"
- Last week: Romans 7:19-24 "Waging war against...my mind"
- Psalm 140:7 "Lord, my strong deliverer, you shield my head in the day of battle"
- 2 Corinthians 10:4-5 "The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds...and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ"
Salvation (Jesus saving us from our sins - John 1:29, 4:42, 1 John 2:2) has 3 aspects:
1.) I have been saved from sin's PENALTY which is justification
- Romans 6:23 "The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord"
- Romans 4:25 "He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification"
- Ephesians 2:8 "By grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God" (Ephesians 6:17 "Take the helmet of salvation")
2.) I am being saved from sin's POWER which is sanctification
- Romans 6:14 "Sin shall no longer be your master (rule or have power over you)"
- Romans 6:22 "You have been set free from sin and have become slaves (servants) of God, resulting in sanctification (holiness) and in eternal life"
- Galatians 1:3,4 "The Lord Jesus Christ, gave himself for our sins to rescue (deliver) us from the present evil age (this present evil world)"
- 2 Thessalonians 2:13 "Salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth"
- 1 Peter 2:2 "Crave pure spiritual milk (of the word), so that by it you may grow up in your salvation"
- Philippians 1:6 "He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus"
3.) I will be saved from sin's PLAN which is glorification
- 1 Thessalonians 5:8 "The hope (confident expectation) of salvation as a helmet"
- Titus 1:2 "The hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised"
- 1 John 5:13 "These things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life"
- Romans 8:17, 18 "So that we may also be glorified with Him...our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us"
- 1 Peter 1:5 "The salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time"
- Titus 2:13 "We wait for the blessed hope--the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ"
- Romans 13:11 "Our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed"
Dig Deeper: Read Ephesians 6:17
(1) How were we saved in the past? When did you realize that in your life?
(2) How are we being saved now?
(3) What does it mean to be saved in the future? What is Christian hope? Pray for boldness to speak of God's salvation.