Ephesians 6:16 "Take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish (quench, put out) all the flaming arrows (fiery darts) of the evil one"
1.) Faith grows when it soaks up the WORD
- Romans 10:17 "Faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of God (Christ)"
- Ephesians 5:26 "The washing with water through the word"
- Proverbs 30:5 "Every word of God is flawless (true, pure); he is a shield to those who take refuge (put their trust) in him"
2.) Faith works through LOVE
- Galatians 5:6 "Faith works (expressing itself) through love"
- 1 Peter 4:8 "Love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins"
- Ephesians 4:16 "From him (Jesus) the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work"
- Hebrews 10:25 "Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another - and all the more"
- Philippians 1:27 "Stand firm in one spirit, striving (fighting) together as one for the faith"
3.) Faith stands regardless of the RESULTS
- Ephesians 6:13 "Put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand"
- Daniel 3:17-18 "The God we serve is able to deliver us...but even if he does not...we will not serve your gods"
- Job 13:15 "Though he slay me, yet will I hope (trust) in him"
4.) Faith looks to JESUS
- Hebrews 12:2 "Looking to (fixing our eyes on) Jesus, the author (source) and perfecter (finisher) of our faith"
- Colossians 3:3 "Your life is hidden with Christ in God"
- Galatians 2:20 "I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me"
- Psalm 3:3 "You, Lord, are a shield around me, my glory, the One who lifts my head (the lifter of my head)"
Dig Deeper: Read Ephesians 6:16
(1) What are some of the flaming arrows you have experienced? How have you taken up the shield of faith? How do you keep your shield ready?
(2) When have you needed others to join shields with you?
(3) When has your faith had to endure through hard times?
(4) What helps you to keep your eyes on Jesus? Pray for those who need the Lord to be their shield.