Ephesians 6:17 "Take the...sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God"
1.) STUDY the word continually
- 2 Timothy 2:15 "Study (be diligent, work hard, do your best) to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles (divides, explains, teaches) the word of truth."
- 2 Timothy 3:14-17 "Continue in what you have learned...you have known the holy Scriptures...be thoroughly equipped" (John 8:31-32 "Continue in my word")
- Luke 8:13 "The ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing (trials, temptation) they fall away" (Colossians 2:7 "Rooted...strengthened in the faith as you were taught")
- Psalm 119:11 "I have hidden (treasured) your word in my heart that I might not sin against you"
- Colossians 3:16 "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly"
2.) APPLY the word purposefully
- Isaiah 55:10-11 "As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: it will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it"
- Hebrews 4:12 "The word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart"
- John 18:10 "Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant, cutting off his right ear" (2 Timothy 2:15 "Correctly handle the word of truth")
- Psalm 149:4-6 "The Lord takes delight in his people...Let the saints rejoice in this honor and sing for joy on their beds. May the praise of God be in their mouths and a double-edged sword in their hands"
3.) SPEAK the word boldly
- 2 Corinthians 4:13 "I believed; therefore I have spoken"
- Ephesians 6:19 "Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will boldly (fearlessly) make known the mystery of the gospel"
- Acts 4:29 "Enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness"
- Acts 4:31 "All filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly"
- Joshua 1:8 "This Book of the Law (Bible) shall not depart from your mouth"
- Isaiah 49:2 "He made my mouth like a sharp sword"
- Ephesians 6:17 "Take the...sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God"
- Matthew 4:4, 6-7, 10 "It is written"
Dig Deeper: Read Ephesians 6:17
(1) How is the word like a sword? How do you keep studying the word?
(2) What are some of God's purposes for his word? When have you mishandled the sword?
(3) How did Jesus use the sword of the Spirit? How has God given you boldness to speak? Pray for more boldness to speak God's word.