The first week of Advent: HOPE
1.) Jesus is the perfect Christmas tree that stays ALIVE
- Isaiah 11:1a "A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse (father of King David)."
- Job 14:7 "There is hope for a tree: If it is cut down, it will sprout again, and its new shoots will not fail."
- Isaiah 53:2 "He grew up...like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground"
- Revelation 22:16 "I, Jesus...am the Root and the Offspring of David."
2.) Jesus is the perfect Christmas tree that bears FRUIT
- Isaiah 11:1b "From his roots a Branch will bear fruit."
- Matthew 2:23 "He went and lived in a town called Nazareth. So was fulfilled what was said through the prophets, that he would be called a Nazarene."
- Matthew 3:10 "The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down." (Matthew 3:8 "Produce fruit with repentance.")
- John 15:2 "He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful."
- Psalm 92:12-13 "The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon; planted in the house of the Lord, they will flourish in the courts of our God. They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green."
3.) Jesus is the perfect Christmas tree that draws OTHERS
- Isaiah 11:10 "In that day the Root of Jesse will stand as a banner for the peoples; the nations will rally to him."
- John 12:32-33 "'When I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw everyone to myself.' He said this to show the kind of death he was going to die."
- Romans 15:2 "The Root of Jesse will spring up, one who will arise to rule over the nations; in him the Gentiles will hope."
(1) What do you know about your family tree? How is Jesus like a tree?
(2) What fruit did Jesus bear? What is the Lord doing in your life now to make you more fruitful?
(3) How does Jesus draw people to himself? Pray for Jesus to draw others to himself through the Lighthouse!