- Ephesians 6:18 "Pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests...always keep on praying"
- 1 Thessalonians 5:17 "Pray continually (without ceasing)"
- Luke 18:1 "Jesus told his disciples...that they should always pray and not give up (lose heart or become discouraged)"
- 1 Chronicles 5:20 "They cried out to God during the battle. He answered their prayers because they trusted in him"
- Romans 12:12 "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction (troubles), faithful (continuing instant) in prayer (keep on praying)"
1.) Prayer increases our concern for OTHERS
- Ephesians 6:18 "Always keep on praying for the saints (all the Lord's people)"
- Romans 12:13 "Share with God's people who are in need"
2.) Prayer increases our spread of the GOSPEL
- Ephesians 6:19 "Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel"
- Ephesians 6:20 "I am an ambassador in chains"
3.) Prayer increases our mutual ENCOURAGEMENT
- Ephesians 6:22 "That you may know how we are, and that he may encourage you"
- Romans 1:12 "That you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith"
- Hebrews 10:25 "Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another - and all the more"
4.) Prayer increases our love for JESUS
- Ephesians 6:24 "Grace to all who love our Lord Jesus Christ with an undying love"
- 1 John 4:19 "We love because he first loved us"
- John 21:17 "Jesus asked him the third time, 'Do you love me?'"
- John 8:42 "Jesus said to them, 'If God were your Father, you would love me'"
- John 16:27 "The Father himself loves you because you have loved me"
Dig Deeper: Read Ephesians 6:18-24
(1) Why is prayer included with the section on the armor of God? How is prayer a form of battle?
(2) How have you grown in prayer for needs beyond yourself? What can we pray for when we pray for others? See Ephesians 1:17-19.
(3) When have you experienced encouragement? How have you been an encourager?
(4) How can we grow in love for Jesus? Pray that praying would increase among us!