1.) I run for God because he gives another OPPORTUNITY (Jonah 3:1-2)
- Jonah 2:9-10 "But I, with a song of thanksgiving, will sacrifice to you. What I have vowed I will make good. Salvation comes from the Lord. And the Lord commanded the fish, and it vomited (spit) Jonah onto dry land"
- Jonah 3:1-2 "Then the word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time: 'Go to the great city of Nineveh and proclaim to it the message I give you.'"
2.) I run for God because he gives the desire to OBEY (Jonah 3:3)
- Jonah 3:3 "Jonah obeyed the word of the Lord and went to Nineveh."
- Psalm 51:10-13 "Create in me a pure (clean) heart, O God...Do not cast me from your presence...Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit...Then I will teach transgressors your ways, so that sinners will turn back to you."
- Philippians 2:13 "It is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose (giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him, to obey)."
3.) I run for God because he gives words to SPEAK (Jonah 3:4)
- Jonah 3:4 "On the first day, Jonah started into the city. He proclaimed: 'Forty more days and Nineveh will be overturned.'"
- Exodus 4:12 "I will help you speak and will teach you what to say."
- Ezekiel 2:7 "Speak my words to them whether they listen or not"
- Luke 12:12 "The Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say"
- Romans 1:16 "I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes"
4.) I run for God because he gives hope for CHANGE (Jonah 3:5-10)
- Jonah 3:5 "The Ninevites believed God. They declared a fast, and all of them, from the greatest to the least, put on sackcloth."
- Jonah 3:8 "Let everyone call urgently on God (cry mightily to God). Let them give up their evil ways and their violence."
- Jonah 3:9 "Who knows" God may yet relent and with compassion turn from his fierce anger so that we will not perish."
- Jonah 3:10 "When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he had compassion and did not bring upon them the destruction he threatened."
- Acts 20:21 "Turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus."
- Ezekiel 36:26 "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone"
Dig Deeper: Read Jonah 3:1-10
(1) Who are others that God gave a 2nd chance? See Abraham, Jacob, Moses, Peter; who else? When has God given you another opportunity?
(2) What helps you obey God?
(3) When has God given you the opportunity to speak for him?
(4) When have you seen God change someone's heart? Who do you need hope for, that God can change them?