1.) We run from God when we are BITTER (Jonah 1:1-3)
- Jonah 1:1-2 "The word of the Lord came to Jonah son of Amittai: 'Go to the great city of Ninevah and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me'"
- Jonah 1:3 "But Jonah ran away from the Lord and headed for Tarshish. He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port. After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the Lord"
2.) We run from God when we are FATIGUED (Jonah 1:4-6)
- Jonah 1:4 "Such a violent storm arose that the ship threatened to break up"
- Jonah 1:5 "Jonah had gone below deck, where he lay down and fell into a deep sleep" (tired physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually)
3.) We run from God when we are FORGETFUL (Jonah 1:7-9)
- Jonah 1:8 "What do you do? Where do you come from? What is your country? From what people are you?"
- Jonah 1:9 "I am a Hebrew and I worship the Lord, the God of Heaven, who made the sea and the land"
- 2 Kings 14:25 "The word of the Lord, the God of Israel, spoken through his servant Jonah son of Ammitai, the prophet"
4.) We run from God when we are GUILTY (Jonah 1:10-12)
- Jonah 1:12 "I know that it is my fault that this great storm has come upon you"
- Psalm 32:5 "I acknowledged (confessed, admitted) my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity (guilt). I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the Lord.' And you forgave the guilt of my sin"
- 1 John 9, 7 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins...and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies (cleanses) us from all sin"
5.) We run from God when we are UNAWARE (Jonah 1:13-17)
- We are unaware of God's power, presence, and provision
- Jonah 1:15 "They took Jonah and threw him overboard, and the raging sea grew calm"
- Jonah 1:16 "At this the men greatly feared the Lord, and they offered a sacrifice to th4e Lord and made vows to him"
- Jonah 1:17 "But the Lord provided a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was inside the fish three days and three nights"
Dig Deeper: Read Jonah 1:1-17
(1) What are some of the reasons people run from the Lord? When have you experienced any of these?
(2) What may Jonah have been afraid of? How is God helping you with your fears? When have you felt spiritually tired?
(3) What had Jonah forgotten? What important things do we forget?
(4) What do people do when they feel guilty? What do you do?
(5) What were they unaware of? How has God made you aware of these things in your life?