2 Timothy 3:15 "The Holy Scriptures are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus"
- WHY we NEED to be saved
- Ephesians 2:1 "You were dead in your transgressions and sins."
- Ephesians 2:3 "We were by nature objects of wrath"
- Ephesians 2:4-5 "Because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions - it is by grace you have been saved"
- Romans 3:23 "All have sinned,and come short of the glory of God"
- Romans 6:23 "The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord"
- Hebrews 2:3 "How shall we escape if we ignore so great a salvation?"
- Luke 13:23 "Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?"
- Luke 13:24 "Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to"
- Matthew 19:25 "Who then can be saved?"
- Matthew 19:26 "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible"
- WHY we CANNOT save ourselves
- Not saved because we lived - John 3:7 "You must be born again"
- Not saved because we died - John 11:25 "Jesus said...I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though he dies"
- Not saved because we were better than others - Luke 18:11 "God, I thank you that I am not like other men - robbers, evildoers, adulterers"
- Not saved because we believed in a God - James 2:19 "You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that - and shudder" (Acts 4:12 "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved")
- Not saved because we worked for it - Ephesians 2:8-9 "By grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast" (Luke 15:19 "I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants")
- WHY we trust JESUS as our Savior
- Acts 15:11 "It is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved"
- Acts 16:31 "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved"
- 1 Timothy 1:15-16 "Christ Jesus came in to the world to save sinners...those who believe in him receive eternal life"
- 1 John 5:13 "you who believe in the name of the Son of God may know that you have eternal life"
Read Ephesians 2:3-9
(1) What are some reasons we need to be saved? Why are few saved? How did you come to be saved?
(2) What are common reasons why people think they can save themselves? Why doesn't it work?
(3) What does it mean to believe in Jesus?