Ephesians 5:5 "But rather thanksgiving" (I'd rather be giving thanks to God!)
Ephesians 1:3 "Praise be to the God and Father...who has blessed us;" 1:16 "I have not stopped giving thanks for you;" 5:20 "Always giving thanks to God"
We are thankful to be HOLY
- Ephesians 5:3 "There must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people"
- 1 Thessalonians 4:3 "It is God's will that you should be sanctified (holy, dedicated for God's use): that you should avoid sexual immorality"
- 1 Thessalonians 4:4,5,7 "Each of you should learn to control your own body in a way that is holy and honorable...For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy (sanctified) life"
- John 17:17 "Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth"
- Romans 15:16 "Sanctified by the Holy Spirit"
- 1 Timothy 4:5 "Sanctified by the word of God and prayer" (Daily surrender/Romans 12:1)
- Ephesians 4:22 "Put off your old self...corrupted by its deceitful desires"
We are thankful to speak WISELY
- Ephesians 5:4 "Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving" (Ephesians 4:29/speak to bless)
- Psalm 141:3 "Set a guard over my mouth, Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips.
We are thankful to be free from IDOLATRY
- Ephesians 5:5 "No immoral, impure or greedy person - such a person is an idolater - has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God"
- 1 Peter 1:4 "An inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you"
We are thankful to walk OBEDIENTLY
- Ephesians 5:6 "Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient" (Ephesians 2:2/which spirit?)
- 1 Peter 1:2 "Through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood"
We are thankful to be united with the GODLY
- Ephesians 5:7 "Therefore do not be partners with them"
- 1 Peter 4:3-4 "You have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do...They are surprised that you do not run with them"
- Psalm 101:6 "My eyes will be on the faithful...that they may dwell with me"
Read Ephesians 5:3-7
(1) What helps you to stay holy, dedicated to God?
(2) How do you control your speech? What should our words do? (Ephesians 4:29) How have you been affected by the words of others?
(3) What keeps us free from idolatry?
(4) How have you become more obedient?
(5) How do your companions affect you?