1. We are not who we were ONCE
- Ephesians 5:8 "You were once darkness"
- Colossians 1:12-14 "He has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves"
- Ephesians 5:11 "Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness"
- John 12:46 "I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness"
2. We live according to who we are NOW
- Ephesians 5:8 "But now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light"
- Ephesians 5:9: "The fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth"
- Proverbs 4:18: "The path of the righteous is like the morning sun, shining ever brighter 'til the full light of day"
- Ephesians 5:13 "Everything exposed by the light becomes visible"
- Acts 26:18 "Open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me"
3. We shine as we stay connected to the LORD
- Ephesians 5:8 "Now you are light in the Lord"
- Ephesians 5:10 "Find out what pleases the Lord"
- Psalm 119:130 "The unfolding (teaching, entrance) of your words gives light"
- John 9:5 "While I am in the world, I am the light of the world."
- Matthew 5:14, 16 - You are the light of the world
- Ephesians 5:14 "Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you"
- The difference between the living and the dead: The dead do not praise the Lord (sing his praises, give him thanks), but we do! (Psalm 115:17-18); the dead do not hope in God's faithfulness (Isaiah 38:18), but we trust his promises! "They believed his promises and sang his praise" (Psalm 106:12); the dead do not witness for the Lord, but we do! "I will not die but live, and will proclaim what the Lord has done" (Psalm 118:17)
- Isaiah 60:1 "Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord rises upon you"
Dig Deeper: Read Ephesians 5:8-14
(1) What were we before we knew Christ? What are some of the differences in your life - before and after Christ?
(2) What are we now in Christ? What does the fruit of light look like? How do you see the light making progress in you? How has God used you to shine his light?
(3) How do you stay connected to the source of light? What can you do to wake up from spiritual lethargy?