1. Spirit-filled living depends on what I'm DRINKING
- Ephesians 5:18a "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery (ruin)"
- Isaiah 5:11 "Woe to those who rise early in the morning to run after their drinks, who stay up late at night 'till they are inflamed with wine"
- Proverbs 20:1 "Wine is a mocker and beer (strong drink) a brawler (rage, fighting, loud, noisy, out-of-control behavior); whoever is led astray by them is not wise"
- Ephesians 5:18b "Instead, be filled with the Spirit"
- John 5:26 "When the helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father--the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father--He will testify about me" (Acts 1:8)
- John 16:13-14 "He (The Holy Spirit), will glorify me (Jesus)"
- Acts 1:13-15; 2:1, 4 "Joined together in prayer...when the day of Pentecost came, they were all together...all of them (120) were filled with the Holy Spirit"
- Ephesians 3:16 "I pray that..he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being"
- Romans 8:6,9 "The mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace...You are controlled not by the sinful nature, but by the Spirit"
2. Spirit-filled living keeps my heart SINGING
- Ephesians 5:19 "Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord" (Listen to Christian music)
- John 7:37-39 "Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them. By this he meant the Spirit"
- Psalm 40:3 "He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn (song) of praise to our God. Many will see...and put their trust in him"
- Psalm 96:2 "Sing to the Lord, praise his name; proclaim his salvation day after day"
3. Spirit-filled living continues with my thanks GIVING
- Ephesians 5:20 "Always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ"
- "He (Jesus) gave thanks"/Matthew 15:36; Matthew 26:27; 1 Corinthians 11:22-23; John 11:14
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-19 "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. Do not quench the Spirit"
Read Ephesians 5:18-20
(1) What do people thirst for? How do people try to satisfy their inner thirst? How do we drink of the Spirit? How would you describe a Spirit-filled Christian?
(2) How does singing and worship help you?
(3) Why is giving thanks so important? What helps you stay filled with the Holy Spirit? Pray Ephesians 3:16 for our church!