Ephesians 6:12 "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood (human opponents), but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms"
1.) The Lord prepares us for spiritual battle by revealing the enemy's PURPOSE so we won't PERISH!
- 1 John 3:8 "The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work"
- 1 Peter 5:8-9 "Be alert and of sober mind (self-controlled). Your enemy, the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith" (Revelation 5:5 "The Lion of Judah has triumphed")
- Be ALERT, not alarmed!
- Hebrews 2:14 "By his death he (Jesus) might break the power of him who holds the power of death - that is, the devil."
- Matthew 28:18 "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me"
- Luke 10:19 "I have given you authority...to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you" (Ephesians 3:16; 5:18 - Pray for the power of the Holy Spirit!)
- Colossians 2:15 "Having disarmed the powers (spiritual rulers) and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross"
2.) The Lord prepares us for spiritual battle by revealing the enemy's PLANS so we can PRAY!
- Ephesians 6:11 "Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes (plans, wiles, strategies, tactics)"
- 2 Corinthians 2:11 "We should not be outwitted (taken advantage of) by Satan; for we are not ignorant (unaware) of his schemes"
- Ephesians 6:18-20 "Be alert and always keep on praying" (5x pray/prayer!)
3.) The Lord prepares us for spiritual battle by revealing the enemy's PUNISHMENT so we can PERSEVERE!
- Revelation 2:3 "You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name"
- Don't be fearful, but be FAITHFUL!
- Revelation 2:10 "Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer...The devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution...Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life"
- Isaiah 24:21 "In that day the Lord will punish the powers in the heavens above"
- Revelation 12:12 "The devil...is filled with fury, because he knows that his time is short"
- Revelation 20:10 "The devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur...tormented day and night for ever and ever" (Matthew 25:41 "the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels")
- Romans 8:31, 38 "If God is for us, who can be against us?...Not demons nor powers"
Read Ephesians 6:10
(1) How do you fight the devil? Why should we not be afraid of him?
(2) How has prayer helped you win spiritual battles?
(3) What helps you persevere in the Lord? Pray for spiritual strength for you and our church.