From last week:
- James 1:2 "Consider (count) it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds"
- James 1:3 "Because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance"
- James 1:4 "Perseverance (endurance, patience, steadfastness) must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking in anything"
- James 1:5-8 "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him"
I need wisdom so I can consider it joy when I face trials:
1.) I need wisdom to see that trials can help me MATURE in Christ
- James 1:4 "So that you may be mature (grown up) and complete"
- Hebrews 12:11 "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it"
- 2 Corinthians 12:9 "My grace is all you need, for my power is greatest when you are weak"
- 2 Corinthians 12:10 "I am content with weakness, insults, hardships, persecutions, and difficulties for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong"
- Romans 8:28-29 "In all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose...to be conformed to the image of his Son"
2.) I need wisdom to see that trials can help me MINISTER to others
- 2 Corinthians 1:4 "God comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God"
- 2 Corinthians 12:27, 25, 26 "You are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it...its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it"
3.) I need wisdom to see that trials can help me FOCUS on God's word
- Psalm 119:97 "How I love your law! I meditate on it all day long"
- Psalm 119:71 "It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn (pay attention to) your decrees"
- Psalm 119:67 "Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey (keep, hold onto) your word"
- Psalm 119:68 "You are good, and what you do is good; teach me your decrees"
- Joshua 1:8 "Do not let this book of the law depart from your mouth (speak and recite it); meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything that is written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful"
(1) When have you needed wisdom? How does wisdom help you do James 1:2? What would it look like to grow more mature in Christ? How do trials help that?
(2.) How has God used someone else to minister to you? Who can you help?
(3.) Define biblical meditation. How have your trials caused you to rely more on God and his word? What are some key scriptures that help you?