1.) Trials come despite our CIRCUMSTANCES
- James 1:9-11 "The brother in humble circumstances ought to take pride in his high position. But the one who is rich should take pride in his low position, because he will pass away like a wild flower. For the sun rises with scorching heat and withers the plant; its blossom falls and its beauty is destroyed. In the same way, the rich man will fade away even while he goes about his business"
- Luke 12:20 "This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?"
- Matthew 7:25 "The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock."
2.) Temptations come from sin's INFLUENCE
- James 1:12 "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him"
- James 1:13-15 "When tempted, no one should say, 'God is tempting me.' For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown gives birth to death"
- Luke 8:11 "The seed is the word of God" (Choice: seed of the world or the word!)
- James 1:18 "He chose to give us birth through the word of truth"
- James 1:16 "Don't be deceived my dear brothers"
- Proverbs 19:3 "A man's own folly ruins his life, yet his heart rages against the Lord"
3.) Blessings come through God's LOVE
- James 1:17 "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows"
- Psalm 16:2 "You are my Lord; every good thing I have comes from you"
- 1 Corinthians 4:7 "What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not? (everything you have is from God)"
- James 1:18 "He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created"
(1.) What do most people assume about trials? Why does God allow trials to come to all of us? When were you surprised by a trial in your life? How did God help you through it?
(2.) What is the difference between trials and temptations? What is the seed we need to receive? How has the word helped you endure? How are people deceived? What lies do they believe?
(3.) What are some of the blessings that God has given you? What firstfruits are you offering to the Lord?