1.) My words can hurt or HEAL
- Proverbs 12:18 "Reckless (rash, thoughtless) words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing."
- Job 19:2 "How long will you torment me and crush me (in pieces) with words?"
- Proverbs 18:21 "The tongue has the power of life and death."
- James 1:26 "If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight reign on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless."
- James 3:1 "Not many of you should presume to be teachers."
- 1 Corinthians 8:1 "We all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. Those who think they know something do not yet know as they ought to know."
- Proverbs 12:23 "The prudent (wise) keep their knowledge to themselves."
- James 3:2 "We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault for what he says, he is a perfect (mature) man, able to keep his whole body in check."
- Proverbs 21:23 "Those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity (troubles)."
2.) My words can curse or PRAISE
- James 3:9-10 "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing...this should not be."
- Ephesians 4:29 "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit (give grace to) those who listen."
- Isaiah 50:4 "The Lord God has given me an instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught."
- Hebrews 13:15 "Through Jesus, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise."
3.) My words can be untamed or under God's GUIDANCE
- James 3:8 "No one can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil full of deadly poison."
- James 3:3-6 "We put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us...Ships are so large...they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. The tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire."
- Psalm 19:14 "May the words of my mouth and the meditation (inner thoughts) of my heart be acceptable (pleasing) in your sight, O Lord."
- Psalm 39:1 "I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin; I will put a muzzle on my mouth."
- Psalm 141:3 "Set a guard over my mouth, Lord; keep watch over the door of y lips."
Dig Deeper: Read James 3:1-12
(1.) How have words hurt you? Or helped you? When have you regretted your words?
(2.) Why do people curse? How can you practice more praising?
(3.) Explain the pictures that James uses to describe the tongue. How can you experience victory in this area of your life?