John 12:13 "They took palm branches and went out to meet him, shouting, 'Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Blessed is the king of Israel!'"
Jesus is King! (Zechariah9:9; Revelation 17:14; John 18:36-37)
James 4:7 "Submit (be subject to, yield to, surrender) yourselves, then, to God."
1.) We surrender our FAILURES (James 4:1-12)
- James 4:1 "Your desires that battle within you"
- James 4:2 "You do not have, because you do not ask God."
- James 4:6 "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."
- James 4:7 "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee."
- James 4:8-10 "Come near to God, and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up."
2.) We surrender our FUTURES (James 4:13-17)
- James 4:13-15 "You who say, 'Today or tomorrow, we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.' Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead...say, 'If it is the Lord's will, we will do this or that.'" (A. 18:21 "I will come back if it is God's will.") DV/Deo Volente
- Psalm 39:4 "Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be."
3.) We surrender our FINANCES (James 5:1-6)
- Luke 12:19-21 "You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself? This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God."
- James 5:1-3 "You rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming upon you. Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded in the last days."
- Proverbs 22:4 "Humility and the fear of the Lord bring wealth, and honor, and life."
- Proverbs 30:8-9 "Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the Lord.' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God."
- Leviticus 27:30 "A tithe (10%) of everything...belongs to the Lord; it is holy to the Lord."
- Malachi 3:10 "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house...and see if I will not throw open the floodgates (windows) of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it."
Dig Deeper: Read James 4:1-5:6
(1.) What does it mean for Jesus to be our King?
(2.) What parts of your future do you need to surrender?
(3.) How are you doing in surrendering your finances to King Jesus?