1.) Love by FAITH, not by face (James 2:1-7)
- James 2:1 "My brothers, as believers in (as you hold the faith of) our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don't show favoritism."
- James 2:4 "Have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?
- Acts 10:34 "God does not show favoritism."
- 1 Samuel 16:7 "The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."
2.) Love for what can BECOME, not for what was done (James 2:8-11)
- John 1:12 "To all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right (the power) to become children of God."
- 1 John 3:2 "Now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is."
- Philippians 2:13 "It is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose (giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him)."
- Philippians 3:10 "I want to know Christ...becoming like him."
- James 2:5 "Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?"
- 1 Corinthians 1:26-31 "Not many of you were influential...God chose the weak things ...the lowly things...so that no one may boast before him...boast in the Lord."
3.) Love with MERCY, not with judgment (James 2:12-13)
- James 2:13 "Mercy triumphs over judgment."
- Matthew 5:7 "Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy."
- James 2:8 "Keep the royal law found in Scripture, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"
- James 2:10 "Whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it."
- Galatians 5:6 "The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love."
- Romans 5:5 "God's love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us."
- Hebrews 12:2-3 "Looking to (fixing, keeping our eyes on) Jesus...Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners (think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people), so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."
- Romans 15:7 "Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God."
- Luke 23:34 "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."
- Acts 7:60 "Lord, do not hold this sin against them."
Dig Deeper: Read James 2:1-13
(1.) How so we sometimes show favoritism? How has Jesus changed your attitude toward others?
(2.) Who are examples of changed lives in the Bible? How does that give you hope that God is at work in you to become all he wants you to be?
(3.) Who needs your mercy? Ask God daily to love through you!