James 2:14 "What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?" (such faith, this faith, that kind of faith)
1.) INTELLECTUAL faith fails to commit
- James 1:26 "If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight reign on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless."
- Titus 1:16 "They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him."
- John 3:2-10 "You are a teacher who has come from God...You must be born again."
- Luke 4:33-34 "What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are - the Holy One of God!"
- Luke 8:28,31 "What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God?...They (the demons) begged Jesus not to order them to go into the Abyss."
2.) EMOTIONAL faith fades quickly
- James 2: 19 "Even the demons believe that - and shudder (tremble, shake)."
- Mark 4:16-17 "Seed sown on rocky places, hear the word and at once receive it with joy. But since they have no root, they last only a short time."
- Romans 10:2-3 "They are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge."
3.) DEAD faith produces no fruit
- Matthew 7:16 "You will know them by their fruit."
- James 2:17 "Faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead."
- James 2:26 "As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds (actions, works, fruit) is dead."
4.) LIVING faith brings maturity
- Revelation 2:4-5 "You have forsaken the love you had at first (your first love). Consider how far you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first."
- Revelation 3:1-3 "I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have found your deeds unfinished in the sight of my God. Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; obey it, and repent."
- James 2:22 "His faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete (mature) by what he did."
- Titus 2:13-14 "Our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager (zealous, enthusiastic) to do what is good."
Dig Deeper: Read James 2:14-26
(1.) Think of someone who has only intellectual faith. What is missing?
(2.) Why is emotional faith dangerous? What is missing?
(3.) What would be some red flags that may indicate a dead faith?
(4.) How can we have a living faith? What will help us to mature spiritually? What are some things God has given you an eagerness to do?