1.) WAIT for signs of hope
- James 5:7 "The farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains." (1 Kings 18:41-44 "a small cloud")
- Mark 16:3 "Who will roll the stone away from the entrance to the tomb?"
- Matthew 28:2 " An angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it."
- Luke 24:5 "Why do you look for the living among the dead?"
- Luke 24:6-8 "He is not here; he has risen! Remember how he told you...'The Son of Man must be delivered over to the hands of sinners, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.' Then they remembered his words."
2.) ASK for strength to persevere
- James 5:8 "You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near."
- Mark 9:24 "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"
- Romans 8:11 "The Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you."
- Ephesians 1:19-20 "His incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as...when he raised Christ from the dead."
- Ephesians 3:16 "I pray that...he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being." (Psalm 119:25 "Preserve, revive me according to your word.")
- 1 John 2:14 "You are strong, and the word of God lives in you."
- Colossians 1:9, 11, 12 "We ask God to fill you...with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, joyfully giving thanks."
3.) INVITE others to wait with you
- James 5:9 "Don't grumble against each other."
- James 5:10 "As an example of patience in the face of suffering, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord."
- John 20:19 "The disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear; Jesus came."
4.) TRUST the Lord for a blessed outcome
- James 5:11 "We consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy."
- John 11:25 "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he dies, yet shall he live."
- Job 19:25-27 "I know that my redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand on the earth. And...I will see God...How my heart yearns within me!"
- Job 42:10, 12 "After Job had prayed for his friends, the Lord made him prosperous again and gave him twice as much as he had before...The Lord blessed the latter part of Job's life more than the first."
Dig Deeper: Read James 5:7-11
(1.) What signs of hope could the disciples have seen? What are some signs of hope in your situation?
(2.) When and how has God given you strength to persevere?
(3.) Who has been with you in your waiting? How has that helped?
(4.) When have you been blessed with a better outcome than you expected?