1.) We pray in RIGHTEOUSNESS
- James 5:16 "The prayer of a righteous man is..."
- Romans 3:10 "There is no one righteous, not even one."
- Luke 18:9 "Some were confident of (trusted in) their own righteousness."
- Philippians 3:9 "Not having a righteousness of my own...but that which is through faith in Christ - the righteousness that comes from God by faith"
- Romans 5:19 "Through the obedience of one man many will be made righteous."
- Isaiah 53:11 "My righteous servant will make it possible for many to be counted righteous (he will justify many, make many righteous), he will bear their sins."
- Romans 5:17 "Receive God's abundant provision of grace and the gift of righteousness."
- Job 29:14 "I put on righteousness as my clothing."
- Ephesians 6:14 "Stand firm...with the breastplate of righteousness in place."
2.) We pray with EFFECTIVENESS
- James 5:16 "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."
- James 5:17 "Elijah prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three-and-a-half years."
- James 5:18 "Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops."
- 1 Kings 18:41-44 "There is the sound of a heavy rain...Go and look...There is nothing there...Seven times...a cloud as small as a man's hand is rising."
- James 5:16 "Pray for each other."
- Acts 1:14 "They all joined together constantly in prayer."
3.) We pray from WEAKNESS
- James 5:17 "Elijah was a man just like us (as human as we are)."
- 1 Kings 19:3,4 "Elijah was afraid and ran for his life...and prayed that he might die."
- 1 Kings 19:4 "I have had enough, Lord...take my life."
- 2 Kings 2:11 "A chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and...Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind."
- 2 Corinthians 12:9 "My grace is sufficient for you, my power is made perfect in weakness."
- 1 Corinthians 2:3 "I came to you in weakness with great fear and trembling."
- Romans 8:26 "The Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us."
- Colossians 4:2 "Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful."
Dig Deeper: Read James 5:16-18
(1.) How can we be righteous enough to have our prayers answered? How do we become right with God?
(2.) When have you sensed effectiveness in prayer?
(3.) How are we like Elijah? When have you felt weak and relied on God's strength? What steps can you take to be more devoted to prayer?