James 5:19-20 "My brothers if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins."
1.) Only the truth of Jesus SAVES us
- James 5: 19 "My brothers if one of you should wander from the truth..."
- John 8:31-32 "If you continue in my word, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."
- Ephesians 4:21 "Truth is in Jesus."
- Ephesians 1:13 "You heard the word of truth (believed) the gospel of your salvation."
- John 17:17 "Your word is truth."
2.) Before the truth can work through us, it must work IN us
- James 5:19 "My brothers if one of you should wander from the truth...someone should bring him back."
- Psalm 119:176 "I have strayed like a lost sheep. Seek your servant."
- Psalm 51:10-11 "Create in me a pure (clean) heart, O God, and renew a steadfast (right, loyal) spirit within me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation."
- Psalm 51:13 "Then I will teach transgressors (sinners, wanderers) your ways, so that sinners will turn back (return) to you."
- Luke 22:32 "I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."
3.) When the truth changes us, then God can use us to RESTORE others
- James 5:20 "Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins."
- 1 Peter 2:25 "You were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer (Guardian) of your souls."
- Galatians 6:1 "If someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourselves, or you may also be tempted."
- Proverbs 11:30 "He who wins souls is wise."
- Daniel 12:3 "Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever."
- Philippians 2:15-16 "In a crooked and depraved (warped) generation, you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out (hold on to) the word of life."
Dig Deeper: Read James 5:19-20
(1.) What does it mean to wander from the truth? What spiritual wanderers have you known? How did they get off the path? How can the truth set us free?
(2.) Read Psalm 51. Who wandered? What did God need to do in him? How is God's truth working in your life?
(3.) Who has God used to reach you? When has he used you to reach others? Pray for our church to shine bright!