Hebrews 12:2-3 "Fixing our eyes (look to, keep our eyes on, give attention to, focus) on Jesus, the author (source) and perfecter (completer) of our faith. For the joy set before him, he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."
- Look: To turn attention from other things and to something else (Matthew 14:30/Peter)
- Look to Jesus: Seek him always, speak to him continually, read his word daily
- Psalm 25:15 "My eyes are ever (always, continually) on the Lord."
1.) Look to Jesus for SALVATION
- Acts 4:12 "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved."
- Matthew 1:21 "Give him the name Jesus, because he will save people from their sins."
- John 4:42 "We know that this man really is the Savior of the World."
- 2 Timothy 3:15 "The Holy Scriptures are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus."
2.) Look to Jesus for JOY
- Hebrews 1:8-9 "About the Son he says, 'Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever...Your God, has anointed you with oil of gladness above your companions (pouring out the oil of joy on you more than on anyone else)."
- John 17:13 "I say these things while I am still in the world, so they may have the full measure of my joy within them." (Jeremiah 15:16 "Your words...my joy")
- Psalm 118:24 "This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."
- Isaiah 55:12 "You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
- Psalm 51:12 "Restore to me the joy of your salvation."
- John 3:29-30 "The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend of the bridegroom stands and listens for him, and is overjoyed to hear the bridegroom's voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete. He must increase; I must decrease."
3.) Look to Jesus for STRENGTH
- Acts 1:8 "You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses."
- 1 Timothy 1:12 "I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength." (Acts 1:8)
- Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."
- Romans 5:5 "God's love (agape love for others) has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us."
Dig Deeper: Read Hebrews 12:1-13
(1.) What does it mean to keep our eyes on Jesus? What are some ways you do that? How do we look to Jesus for salvation?
(2.) What are some of the ways that Jesus gives us joy? What are some things that rob us of Joy?
(3.) When has Jesus given you power and strength?