1.) LISTEN to the Word
- James 1:19 "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry"
- James 1:20 "Man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires"
- Romans 10:17 "Faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ." ("Faith comes from hearing the word of God")
- James 1:18 "He chose to give us birth through the word of truth"
- Job 6:10 "My joy in unrelenting pain - that I had not denied (rejected) the words of the Holy Ones"
- Jeremiah 15:16 "When your words came (were found), I ate them; they were my joy and my heart's delight"
- Job 23:12 "I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread"
- Psalm 119:161 "My heart trembles (stands in awe) at your word"
- 1 Samuel 3:9 "Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening"
- Psalm 119:18 "Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law (word)"
2.) ACCEPT the Word
- James 1:21 "Get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept (receive) the word planted in you, which can save (restore) you"
- Mark 1:15 "Repent, and believe the gospel"
- Jeremiah 4:3 " Break up your unplowed ground and do not sow among thorns"
- Colossians 3:8 "Rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips"
- Colossians 3:16 "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom"
- Mark 4:20 "Others, like seed sown on good soil, hear the word, accept (receive, welcome) it and produce a crop"
3.) DO the Word
- James 1:22 "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says"
- James 1:23-24 "Anyone who listens to the word and does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in the mirror, and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like"
- James 1:25 "The man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it - he will be blessed in what he does"
Dig Deeper: Read James 1:19-25
(1.) Discuss James 1:19-20. What do we think anger will accomplish? What does God's word do for us? What should be our attitude to the word?
(2.) What needs to happen for us to receive the word?
(3.) If we aren't growing spiritually, what may be our problem? How does the word free us?