Highlights of chapter 1:
- Jonah 1:3 "But Jonah ran away from the Lord...He went down" (downer!)
- Jonah 1:9 "I am a Hebrew and I worship the Lord, the God of Heaven" (remember who you are, child of God, know the word to know your identity!)
- Jonah 1:17 "But the Lord provided a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was inside the fish three days and three nights." (God's provision not punishment!)
- Matthew 12:39-40 "As Jonah was three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."
1.) We run to God's WORD (Jonah 2:1-2)
- Psalm 119:50 "My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise (word) preserves (revives) my life."
- Psalm 50:15 "Call on me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor (give glory to) me" (Psalm 46:1 "God is a very present help in trouble")
- Jonah 2:1-2 "From the inside of the fish, Jonah prayed to the Lord his God. He said, 'In my distress I called to the Lord, and he answered me.'"
2.) We run to God's PRESENCE (Jonah 2:3)
- Palm 139:7, 9, 10 "Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?...If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast (firm grip)."
- Jonah 2:3 "You hurled me into the deep, into the very heart of the seas, and the currents swirled about me; all your waves and breakers swept over me"
3.) We run to God's SANCTUARY (Jonah 2:4)
- Jonah 2:4 "I have been banished from your sight; yet I will look again toward your holy temple."
- 1 Kings 8:38-39 "When a prayer or plea is made by anyone...spreading out their hands toward this temple, then hear from heaven, your dwelling place. Forgive and act."
4.) We run to God's MERCY (Jonah 2:5-6)
- Psalm 144:7 "Reach down your hand from on high; deliver me and rescue me from the mighty waters"
- Jonah 2:5-6 "Seaweed was wrapped around my head...I sank down...but you brought my life up from the pit, O Lord my God."
5.) We run to God's GRACE (Jonah 2:7-10)
- Jonah 2:7-8 "Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs (turn their backs on all God's mercies)."
- Hebrews 4:16 "Approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need"
- Jonah 2:9-10 "But I, with a song of thanksgiving, will sacrifice to you. What I have vowed I will make good. Salvation comes from the Lord. And the Lord commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land." (Psalm 50:14)
Dig Deeper: Read Jonah 2:1-10
(1) What are some promises that help you run to God? How has he reached down to you?
(2) How are you responding to God's mercies?