Religion is the outward expression of the inward working of God in my heart
- Matthew 5:16 "Let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your father in heaven."
1.) My faith shows in how I SPEAK
- James 1:26 "If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight reign on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless."
- James 1:19 "Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry."
- Ephesians 4:29 "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit (give grace to) those who listen."
- Psalm 39:1 "I will watch my ways and keep my tongue form sin; I will put a muzzle (bridle) on my mouth while in the presence of the wicked (ungodly)."
- Psalm 141:3 "Set a guard over my mouth, Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips."
2.) My faith shows in how I CARE
- James 1:27 "Religion that God our father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress."
- 1 Timothy 5:4 "Children or grandchildren should learn first of all to put their religion into practice by caring for their own family and so repaying their parents and grandparents, for this is pleasing to God."
- 1 Timothy 5:8 "If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."
- Psalm 68:5 "A father to the fatherless (orphans), a defender (protector, advocate) of widows, is God in his holy dwelling."
- Jeremiah 49:11 "Your fatherless children (orphans) I will keep them alive. Your widows too can depend on (trust in) me."
- 1 Timothy 5:5 "The widow who is really in need and left all alone puts all her hope in God and continues night and day to pray and to ask God for help."
3.) My faith shows in how I LIVE
- James 1:27 "And to keep oneself form being polluted (stained) by the world."
- Revelation 7:14 "They have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the lamb."
- Romans 12:2 "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind."
- Galatians 2:20; 6:14 "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me...May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."
Dig Deeper: Read James 1:26-27
(1.) How would most people define religion? When have you seen true faith lived out in others? What does God want to change about how you speak?
(2.) Why the emphasis on orphans and widows? Who have you cared for?
(3.) How can we keep from being stained by the world?