James 1:5 "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."
Ephesians 5:15 "Be very careful, then, how you live, not as unwise but as wise."
1.) The Lord gives me wisdom to live PURELY
- James 3:17 "The wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure."
- James 1:27 "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." (see website www.pluggedin.com)
- Psalm 101:2b-3 "I will walk in my house with a blameless heart (I will live a pure life). I will set before my eyes no vile thing (I refuse to look at anything vile and vulgar.)"
- 1 John 2:28; 3:3 "Dear children, continue in him, so that when he appears we may be confident and unashamed before him at his coming...All who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure."
- 2 Corinthians 7:1 "Since we have these promises, dear friends. let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting (becoming mature and complete in) holiness out of reverence for God."
- Psalm 119:9-11 "How can a young person keep his way pure? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you."
- James 4:8 "Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded."
2.) The Lord gives me wisdom to live PEACEFULLY
- James 3:17 "The wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving."
- James 3:18 "Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness."
- Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God."
- Titus 3:2 "Be peaceable and considerate, and always gentle toward everyone."
- Romans 12:18 "As far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone."
3.)The Lord gives me wisdom to live PRODUCTIVELY
- James 3:13 "Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom."
- James 3:17 "The wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure, then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit..."
- Psalm 92:14 "They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green."
Dig Deeper: Read James 3:13-18
(1.) How does James describe the differences of heavenly and earthly wisdom? What struggles do you have with purity? What helps you live purely?
(2.) What steps have you taken to be at peace with others?
(3.) Describe the fruit of heavenly wisdom. How can you be productive for Jesus?